Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Each life that touches ours for good . . .

Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.



I have been blessed to have many great and wonderful friends in my life. However, every once in a while, someone comes into your life, touches your heart in a very special way and strengthens your spirit. I recently had the wonderful opportunity to have Brooke Romney touched my heart in unbelievable ways.

I remember when our little Branden was born and literally, turned my world upside down. I was 45 when I gave birth to him with 6 other children at home, 3 of which were adults! Mark was serving as Bishop and Kyle was struggling BIG time. My hair was going grayer by the day. I don't know if it was because Branden was such a hard baby or because for so many years I was in complete control of my life and all of a sudden, I was totally out of control! By this point, I had rocked and nursed 6 babies and felt very confident with a newborn. However, utter chaos ruled our home as Branden cried from the time he woke up in the morning to when he went to bed at night! I remember, for the first time in my life, I would wake up on Sunday morning and choose whether I would go to church or not. By this, I mean, in our home, church is not an option on Sunday morning. Its just what we do. I remember pleading with Heavenly Father to help me! One Sunday, Brooke bore her testimony and reminded me that sometimes in life, we just have to keep moving in the right direction, pretending that what we are doing is the right thing, even if we don't feel that way at that time. There WILL come a time, when this obedience will pay off. It was just what I needed to hear to help me jump this hurdle in my life. From that point on, I connected heart to heart with Brooke.

It was amazing how often throughout time, when I would struggle, Heavenly Father would use Brooke to teach or remind me of another gospel principle. Thank you Brooke for being His hands and His voice!

What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.


Recently, well about 1 1/2 years ago, I was called to be Stake Primary President. I was in total shock! I had never served in Primary and quickly started reading the handbook. I remember praying for counselors and choosing my presidency carefully. I felt really good about my names, went to bed and would turn them in the next morning. I awoke at 3:00 a.m. and my heart started pounding and I received Brooke's name to serve as 2nd counselor. I tingled from the top of my head to the tip of my toes as my mind reflected on her name. I didn't understand why, but knew that it was right. After we were sustained as a presidency, I realized the great responsibilities that a second counselor has in the Cub Scouting program. I LOVED the countless times that I saw Brooke wearing that cute little yellow shirt as she led the "cubbing" program for our stake. I LOVED watching Brooke cradle a small child who needed extra love and attention that day in Primary, even if she didn't know their name. I LOVED hearing her bear simple testimony to small children. I LOVED sharing tears as the spirit would bear testimony to our hearts that what we were doing was right! I am so thankful for Brooke and her devotion to serve 150%.

Mike served as YM President and was such a great example to Ryan and Tanner. I never have known him as Mike Romney, only "Romney"!!! I gave up years ago on the whole respect thing and am so grateful for selfless leaders who "strenthen the faith" of my boys and "enriched their days!"


I LOVED little Jace and his great example for Branden and Donivan. We carpooled this past year and I am grateful my boys had Jace to look up to as a big first grader! When they do something wrong, I still ask them if they think Jace Romney would have done that!!! Fast Sundays will never be the same without your testimony.

So now, the Romney's are off to graduate school and I could speak of many more examples but I only wish the best for their family. Our ward family will miss you! We LOVE you Romney's and will never forget how much you have touched our lives!

When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.

4 comments:

  1. Sweet tribute to your friend....she sounds like an amazing woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you made me cry again. I want to just say ditto. It has all been too close to my heart at this point to post about them moving. It was a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen,
    You are the sweetest. It's funny that ever since I moved into this ward, YOU have been that person for me. I have looked up to YOU so much for the past 6 years to lead, teach and guide me to the kind of person I should be. You have always been such an example of selfless service and doing the right thing for the right reason all the time. It was a pleasure to serve with you in Primary...you are exactly what a President should be and taught me so much. We just love and adore your family so much. We will miss many and especially your sweet family, you, Bishop, and all the sweet kids of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen,
    You and Mark and your family have been a wonderful example to our family on how to live faithfully. Your quite example, your patient parenting, your kind words and loving personalities are wonderful. I can't tell you how many times Brooke and I ask ourselves, what would Bishop and Karen do? We love you guys and your cute kids. Stay in touch!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete