Sunday, March 6, 2011

"Becoming"


I have the privilege of answering phones at the Mesa Arizona Temple. What a blessing this has been to me personally. Not only do I associate with celestial people and those of us who are becoming celestial, but most importantly, I am blessed to serve my Father in Heaven.

One of the most requested extensions is 358 which happens to be the prayer roll. Sometimes my heart just hurts for those calling in. I hear great emotion in their voices and silently pray that the righteous desires of their hearts may be granted. I am also blessed to speak briefly with those who are calling in to schedule their own endowments, perhaps for a mission call or for their own sealings. These are happy people coming to the temple for their first time, that I congratulate and pass onto the temple scheduler.

What a great opportunity to sit and study church doctrine. However, my most encouraging and inspiring moments happen as I answer phones and just watch people. I quietly admire those who attend regularly. You would be surprised at the same people who attend at the same time each week. Now these truly are patrons who are "becoming" celestial. I want to be counted among them!

This past week I answered an assignment to work in the laundry department. Boy howdy have I taken for granted many tasks that are performed in the temple each day. Someone sorts, washes, dries and folds every piece of clothing worn in the temple. Nothing is ever sorted out or worn twice. These are valiant saints who serve and perform these tasks day in and day out. What a warm feeling I received personally from the spirit as I realized that I too was caring for the sacred garments of the priesthood worn by saints who once again, were "becoming!"

"We love thy house, O God,
Where-in thine honor dwells.
The joy of thine abode
All earthly joy excels."

3 comments:

  1. The laundry has been one of my favorite assignments to go to the temple and do. I really enjoyed it. Glad you were able to fill the assignment last week. I had hoped to but it fell on Matthew's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great service and great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish there were a "love" button to press. What a great post Karen!

    ReplyDelete